Friday, April 3, 2009

On Tomb Sweeping Day


Yahoooo... I am just so happy that I will be away from school work for three days.


China has many short traditional holidays that they observe in a year. The tomb sweeping day (qing ming jie) which means "clear brightness" usually hints the celebration of spring. This day marks the beginning of planting season and the rebirth of nature. At this time, brown grasses are turning green, insects would eventually come out, flower buds are popping out and cold crisp of spring air is in. Outdoor activities are also enjoyed by families as well.


This traditional holiday was celebrated with singing, dancing, picnics and kite flying in the ancient times. Recently, kite flying is also becoming very popular during this time. Kites may be indifferent sizes, colors, shapes and designs like frog, panda, butterflies, dragon, fish and other significant animals.


As I was walking home tonight, I saw people burning paper money, paper gold and other paper spirit offerings which is believed to be offered to honor past ancestors or family members who has passed away. They say this tradition is believed to be a way for helping the dead person in their other life. Spirit money, paper gold and other spirit offerings will be used in the other life. They also believed that the spirits of the deceased are looking after their families thus sacifices of spirit money and food offerings would make them happy giving them prosperous life. Chinese also visit their graves to pull unwanted weeds and sweep dirt away from the tombs. Spirit money and food offerings are also sacrificed. This is actually similar to All Saints Day for us where we visit cemeteries and memorial parks to pay honor and visit to graves.


I am so happy that I will be having 3-day rest because of this traditional holiday. ;) yehey!

What can I do then? I think I would be sleeping...sleeping....sleeping...


whoooops... wo kun le! wo xiang yao shui jiao. (I am sleepy! I like to sleep now.)


No comments: